2013 BP Principal and Commissioner Scholarship Program
Funding from BP enables the BP Principal and Commissioner Scholarship Program. BP has partnered for 29 years with the Alaska Principal Foundation and AASSP to contribute near $3 million dollars for this scholarship program.
This program annually awards twenty-five $4,000 scholarships distributed over a four-year period ($1,000/per year). This scholarship program is unique in that the school principal in every high school in Alaska may nominate ONE graduating senior from their school for the BP Principal Scholarship.
The Board of Directors of the Alaska Principal Foundation selects the 25 award winners, based on nominations received from high school principals throughout Alaska.
Of the 25 students selected as scholarship recipients, one is selected by the Commissioner of Education and Early Development (DEED) to receive an additional $16,000 ($4,000/per year), for a total of $20,000.
The Principal Letter of Recommendation that accompanies each nomination is pivotal in the selection process. To assist principals in the process, the following guidelines may be helpful:
Communicate the program:
Nominate a student:
Prepare a written Principal Student Recommendation Letter:
The principal letter accompanying the nomination form may reference any of the following criteria:
Have Student Complete the Student Statement Form
The student nominated by the principal must use the attached one-page Student Statement Form to write a brief statement describing why they deserve the BP Principal scholarship.
Submit completed packet
Nomination materials must be received by mail no later than the end of business at 5:00 PM on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at the following address: (NO Faxes or e-mailed packets please)
P. André Layral
Alaska Principal Foundation
P.O. Box 83530
Fairbanks, AK 99708
If your nominee is selected:
1. AASSP will notify you no later than April 17, 2013, on the status of the student you nominate.
2. If your nominee is selected for one of the scholarships, you will also receive a link to complete that notifies BP of the date/time of your school award or graduation ceremony. Completing this link assists BP in scheduling a representative to attend your award ceremony to present the award when possible.
3. Notify your student winner, the school and community when you deem it appropriate.
Pertinent information for the student once selected:
1. The scholarship is a $4,000 award to be paid at the rate of $1,000 per year for up to four years.
2. Student must maintain continuous full-time enrollment (12+ credits) in a four-year institution and maintain a G.P.A. of 2.0 or greater on a 4-point system, or equivalent, to receive a scholarship check each year for up to four years.
3. The scholarship may not be deferred for any reason.
4. Students must notify AASSP immediately of any change in enrollment status at their school.
5. The first check for $1,000 will be mailed in the fall semester directly to the financial aid office when all necessary forms have been submitted to AASSP.
6. Student must complete the “Student’s Continuation of Eligibility Form" each year which is sent out annually with each check. This form is to be completed at the end of the spring semester and sent directly to AASSP.
7. If the student does not submit the appropriate renewal paperwork each year by December 15, the scholarship may be assigned to an alternate.
8. A sealed transcript must be submitted to AASSP at the conclusion of each school year for review and continued funding.
Thank you for your commitment to Alaska’s youth and for joining BP in this effort to provide financial support to young Alaskan’s pursuing a college education.
P. André Layral, M.Ed.
Alaska Principal Foundation